In my book Joseph Silber is one of the unsung heroes of the Laravel ecosystem. Whenever I open up internals on Larachat or Github he’s giving friendly and thoughtful advice. I was happy to learn that Joseph started a blog.
In the first post he goes over all the improvements made to authentication in Laravel 5.3.
Authentication has gotten some nice improvements in 5.3, so let’s examine it piece by piece.
– Introducing the authenticate method
– The exception handler’s unauthenticated method
– The Authenticate middleware
– Authenticating against multiple guards
– Route model binding and global scopes
– Bonus: the request’s expectsJson method
If you’re looking for a package that can handle roles and abilities in Laravel, be sure to check out his Bouncer package.